Monday, September 29, 2008

Hearty Veggie Pasta Sauce

This is a recipe that is never exact. It is one of those things that I just start adding things until it tastes good. The key to this sauce is lots of veggies. Veggies have a lot of vitamins and nutrients in them. They also contain a lot of fiber which makes you feel fuller, takes more calories than other nutrients to digest, and helps to keep your digestive tract healthy!

I start by chopping up whatever veggies I want to use. I like to use a combination of carrots, celery, onion, and zucchini. I saute the veggies in a drop of olive oil and some minced garlic. Once the veggies are tender, I add them to 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 can tomato sauce, and 1 can tomato paste. The next part is where you get to be creative. Just start adding ingredients to season until you like the taste! I usually add some oregano, basil, seasonal or Tony's, black pepper, paprika, and chili powder.

Simmer the sauce and serve over pasta (I usually use whole wheat pasta). Be generous with the sauce. This is how you can load up on veggies!

No comments: